Monday, October 27, 2014

Turkey Tostadas

We love Taco Tuesday at my house but sometimes I can get a little burnt out on them so I like to change it up every once in a while.  So Tostada Tuesday is my second favorite (Chicken Enchilada Tuesday is my third!).   After writing this, I am starting to think that maybe I should consider just doing Mexican Monday!  Everyone does Taco Tuesday so why not be different! :)   These Tostadas are so easy and good. Maybe not that healthy for you but they taste great and hey...they're made with turkey meat so that has to count for something, right!?!

Turkey Tostadas
What you need...
  • 1 lb of ground turkey meat (they are good with ground beef or chicken, too)
  • 1 Package of tostada shells (I like the colored ones just because they are more festive and fun!)
  • 1/2 of an onion, chopped
  • 1 packet of your favorite taco seasoning
  • 11 oz can of southwestern corn, drained
  • 10 oz can of Rotel, I reserve the juice in a measuring cup to use in place of water for the taco seasoning. I only need to add 1/4 cup of water to get the 2/3 that I need))
  • 1 can of refried beans
  • 8 oz pkg of Mexican blend cheese (or whatever you like) 
  • Optional toppings...
    • Sour cream
    • Lettuce
    • Salsa or pico
    • Jalapenos 
    • Cilantro
Now what...
  • Preheat your oven to 350.
  • Cook your meat of choice and onion then drain.
  • Add the taco seasoning, reserved Rotel juice and additional water, if needed.  I also add the corn and Rotel at this time.  I just follow the directions on the taco seasoning packet and let it simmer for a few minutes. 
  • Place the tostado shells on a cookie sheet and bake them while the meat and veggies simmer. This gets them warm and crispier than just putting everything on them while they're at room temperature.  I'd pull them out after about 7-8 minutes
  • Warm the refried beans up a little, at this time, so they spread easier onto the shells.
  • Now it is time to assemble!!  Smear 1-2 tbsps of refried beans on each tostado shell, then pile on the meat, corn and Rotel mixture.  
  • Put them back in the oven for about 10 minutes.  Pull them out, add some cheese on top and then sprinkle with a little chili powder...to make them even more festive!  I like to broil them for about 5 minutes so the cheese is good and melted.  Keep a close eye on them, though.
Once they are done just get creative with your toppings and add whatever you'd like! And don't forget the beans and any other sides that you'd like.
                                 
I hope you enjoy these Tostadas as much as we do!!  I plan to try some Crispy Chicken Tacos next so if they turn out near as amazing as I am hoping then I will have to share them, as well!

Hugs,

No comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com