Friday, November 21, 2014

Cranberry Apple Sauce

I can't believe I have been MIA for so long!  I probably picked a bad time to start this little blog.  I love the Holidays so much and have been spending all of my time crafting, doing festive things with Henry and getting ready for Thanksgiving rather than blogging.  I plan to do better, though!!

So who is ready for Thanksgiving?!?!?  I know I am!  For many reasons...my Mom always comes to San Antonio to spend the Holiday with us so we are super excited to see her next Tuesday and I LOVE to cook Thanksgiving dinner for us 4 so I can't wait to start on Wednesday (yes, I start on Wednesday...I cook so much that it takes me 2 days! lol).  Henry has started bowing his head with his little hands together while we say our prayers at nap time and bed time then says "Amen".  Without a doubt one of the sweetest things I have ever heard or witnessed so I am probably more excited about saying Grace this Thanksgiving then even eating all the delish food...it's just so sweet and I can already predict that it will probably make my Mom aka "Ol' Waterworks" cry...heck, who am I kidding, it will probably make me cry, too!  Anyway, Thanksgiving decorations are all up and I pretty much have everything I need for Thanksgiving dinner so bring on Turkey Day Eve!

I mentioned before that I make this amazing and super easy Cranberry Apple Sauce.  You only need 5 ingredients, toss it in the crock pot, let it do it's thing for 2-3 hours and bammm...deliciousness!

Cranberry Apple Sauce

Ingredients:
5 lb bag of gala apples
6 oz. fresh cranberries (I buy a 12 oz. bag and use half then freeze the rest for later)
2-3 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
dash of salt (takes away some of the tartness of the cranberries)

Now What...
  • peel, cut and core your apples.  Put in your crock pot.
  • add your cranberries then sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and salt
  • cook on low for 2-3 hours.  I start checking mine at the 2 hour mark and stir them well.  If they don't seem to be making much progress at this point then I would crank them up to high for the last hour.  Mine do fine on low but all crock pots are different.
  • they keep their shape pretty much the entire time.  Once they are done and you stir them well, they turn into a perfect, chunky sauce

***don't burn any of your good candles while these are cooking because they make your house smell absolutely AMAZING...trust me!!

This sauce is best served warm.   If you have any leftovers then you should definitely warm some up and put it on top of a big bowl of vanilla ice cream.  If you want to get real wild and crazy then add some granola or crushed graham cracker on top...I'm telling you, it taste just like apple pie!  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!! 

I have a few new things that I plan to try this year.  I was looking for a good Turkey Day Eve and/or Turkey Day cocktail to try.  I came across this Autumn Russian on Pinterest the other day and it had me at "sprinkles and pumpkin spice Kaluha"!  This Apple Cider Sangria sounds pretty awesome, too. I may have to just try both!!  I think I have almost everything for the Sangria so it may be the winner. Plus, it sounds like it might be much lighter than the Autumn Russian which will allow more room for all of the great food!  My sweet friend, Rosa, sent me this recipe yesterday for a Sweet Potato Pecan Pie and it immediately made my mouth water!  Her timing was perfect because I knew I wanted to fix a 2nd dessert and also wanted to make a Sweet Potato Casserole of some kind (I was thinking about this one).  I don't want need to do both so I think this pie is a great 2 in 1 and will help give me my sweet potato fix.  These little Cinnamon Roll Turkeys are a must for Thanksgiving breakfast.  I always love to do festive meals for Henry so they are pretty perfect...easy, light and cute! Ok, now I am hungry and wanting some Sangria!! 

I hope everyone has a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving this year.  My little family has so much to be thankful for so we will definitely be counting our blessings here at my house! Enjoy your friends, family, loved ones and be sure to wear your stretchy pants so you have plenty of room for seconds and maybe even thirds!  

Hugs,

Nicole

No comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com